Skip to content

Who Is The Somerton Man

Who Is The Somerton Man: A body was found on the beach at Somerton Park, south of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, on December 1, 1948. This case is also known as the Somerton Man Mysteries. The case’s name was derived from a piece of paper that was later discovered in the man’s pants pocket and had the words “It’s over” or “It’s finished” written on it. The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyám, written in the 12th century, was the source of the shard.

Who Is The Somerton Man
Who Is The Somerton Man

Tamám was regularly misspelled as Tamán in early publications, and this error has since been made numerous times, leading to confusion over the name in the media. Detectives issued a public appeal for help in locating the book from which a page had been torn. Police looked at indentations made by previous handwriting that contained a local phone number, an illegible number, and words that appeared to be a coded message on the back cover. Investigators claim that the text’s interpretation and decipherment are still a mystery.

Since the commencement of their work on the case, detectives have referred to it as “one of Australia’s most deep mysteries.” Since then, there has been much conjecture regarding the identity of the deceased, the cause of his death, and the circumstances that led up to it. An undetectable poison may have been used, there was apparent participation of a secret code, the death happened at a period when global tensions were high with the commencement of the Cold War, and authorities were unable to identify the corpse.

These elements collectively keep case in public eye

The case attracted a lot of interest at the time from Australians and people all across the world. In an effort to identify the deceased, detectives from South Australia contacted law enforcement organizations all over the world. Despite the man’s photo and fingerprint data being widely disseminated, it was impossible to positively identify him. No dead person’s fingerprints were discovered that, for instance, could be linked to any known criminal in the United States. Scotland Yard was contacted, however, they were unable to provide any information about the inquiry.

Who Is The Somerton Man
Who Is The Somerton Man

On May 19, 2021, the remains were unearthed for inspection in response to multiple queries. Police responded that the remains were in “good shape” when asked if there was any chance of obtaining the missing person’s DNA. Professor Derek Abbott claimed on July 26, 2022, that hair samples taken from his death mask had revealed the man to be Carl “Charles” Webb, an electrical engineer and instrument maker born on November 16, 1905, in Footscray, Melbourne. However, SA Police has yet to confirm Professor Abbott’s assertion. Richard August Webb and Eliza Amelia Morris Grace were his parents. A lecturer thinks the mystery surrounding the Somerton guy has been resolved:

He asserts to have solved Australia’s long-standing enigma surrounding the identity of the Somerton man. Carl “Charles” Webb, an electrical engineer and instrument maker from Melbourne, was found dead in 1948 on one of Adelaide’s beaches, according to Derek Abbott, a lecturer at the University of Adelaide. The South Australian Police and Forensic Science South Australia have not verified Abbott’s assertions, which she made after collaborating with renowned American genealogist Colleen Fitzpatrick to identify Webb as the Somerton man.

New South Wales’s Sydney (CNN)

South African police told CNN they had no new information on the probe and would provide additional details as soon as the results of the tests were ready. According to Abbott, Fitzpatrick and his team discovered the solution when they employed DNA sequencing to find the last piece of a 70-year-old puzzle. In May, South Australia police and Forensic Science SA replied to Abbott’s request to exhume the Somerton man’s body, and scientists started figuring out the best way to analyze his DNA.

Who Is The Somerton Man
Who Is The Somerton Man

As a result, Professor Abbott, an electrical and electronic engineering professor at Adelaide University in South Australia, asserts to have discovered proof of the identity of this person in the police-made “death” mask from the late 1940s. A few years back, the police gave Abbott some of the Somerton man’s hair to use when he started his own investigation into the mystery. Abbott and Fitzpatrick collaborated with a group of DNA specialists from the University of Adelaide who examined the hair for years in order to narrow the field.

By March, Abbott claimed, Fitzpatrick and his team had created a complicated family tree with approximately 4,000 members that directly connected to Webb, whose death date was unknown. We were able to find a first cousin three times removed on his mother’s side when filling out this tree. On July 23, they were able to contrast the hair DNA with samples from Webb’s distant ancestors.

When they realized they were linked genetically, Abbott compared it to reach the top of Mount Everest. Despite the fact that the Somerton man mystery seems to have been solved by the discovery, there are still many questions that remain over Webb’s identity and manner of death. If true, it adds to the concerns around the odd indications in the case, such as the last lines of a Persian poem discovered in his fob pocket and what appeared to be military code scrawled in a book, which for many years fanned rumors that he was a spy.

Cases from 1945 to 1949 that might or might not be related:

George Joseph Marshall: A 34-year-old Singaporean named George Marshall (born Joseph Saul Haim Mashal) was discovered dead in Ashton Park, Mosman, in June 1945, and had an open copy of Rubaiyat on his chest. Next to each other are Clifton Gardens and Ashton Park. Two months before Marshall’s passing, Harkness gave Boxall the engraved copy of the Rubaiyat. Marshall’s cause of death was determined to be suicide by poisoning. Marshall was the brother of David Marshall, who would go on to become Singapore’s first Chief Minister.

In the Mangnoson family:

The remains of 2-year-old Clive Mangnoson were found in a sack at Somerton Park, around 20 kilometers (12 miles) along the coast from Largs Bay, on June 6, 1949. His father, Keith Waldemar Mangnoson, was unconscious and laying next to him. Note number 6 The father was first transported to a hospital where he was treated for exposure-related illness before being transferred to a mental health facility. The Mangnosons had been gone for four days. The officials believed Clive had been dead for twenty-four hours when his body was found.

Neil McRae of Largs Bay, Scotland, claimed to have glimpsed the two’s position the previous night in a dream before spotting them. The young Mangnoson’s cause of death could not be identified, despite the coroner’s best attempts. The boy’s gastrointestinal tract was examined by government analysts. The boy’s mother, Roma Mangnoson, was standing in front of her home on Cheapside Street, Largs North when a masked man in a damaged cream car nearly ran her over.

Magnuson claims that “the car stopped, and a man covered his face with a khaki handkerchief and warned her to “keep away from the police or else”.” An individual who claimed to be him had recently bugged the home. Magnuson claimed that her husband had discovered Carl Thompsen, a coworker from Renmark, where the two had worked together in 1939, during his search for the Somerton Man. Magnuson became ill and required medical attention as soon as she was being questioned by police about her harassment.